The Empire Business Centre

Posted on by Hannah Waugh
Veno building Chester Road Old Trafford once home to the Veno Drug Company, a pharmaceutical company founded by William Henry Veno

The Veno Building

The Veno Building is located on Chester Road and it use to be home to a pharmaceutical company owned by a man who bared the name the same as the building, William Henry Veno. He developed his first product in the 1890’s known as Veno’s Cough Mixture. On his return to Britain in 1897 he developed the Veno Drug Company. William can also be credited in his career for developing Germolene Ointment but in 1925 he sold his company to Beechams, while the building still bares the Veno name the company hasn’t been housed here in a long time. Now it has become part of a residential complex and was redeveloped into apartments.

Grade II listed Red brick Duckworth's Essence Factory, Old Trafford built 1896 for Duckworth and Co architects Briggs and Wostenholme of Blackburn

Duckworth’s Essence Factory Building

Duckworth's Essence Factory,

Duckworth’s Essence Factory Building

The Duckworth’s Essence Distillery also lies on Chester Road, there is a plaque on the building that states it was built in 1896 by architects of Briggs and Wolstenhome. The building is a Grade II listed building and has lovely detailing carved on the window frame, the building is a ‘Terracotta’ colour, which is pretty typical for Manchester.

Duckworth's Essence Factory,

Duckworth’s Essence Factory Building

Grade II listed Red brick Duckworth's Essence Factory, Old Trafford built 1896 for Duckworth and Co architects Briggs and Wostenholme of Blackburn

Duckworth’s Essence Factory Building

The Duckworth’s were in the essence and flavouring business for 118 years the majority of these were located in this building, the building now belongs to the Church of Scientology and they plan on renovating the building.

Empress Business Centre, Chester Road, Stretford, Manchester, formerly Empress Brewery

Empress Business Centre Building

The Empress Brewery Company’s current building, which is now The Empress Business Centre, is reported to be built in 1889. It continued operations from 1880 until the brewery closed in 1955, but operated as the Old Trafford Brewing Company in 1894 and as The Empress Brewery from 1894. The company acquired a number of breweries and the associated pubs during the 20th century but was taken over by Peter Walker and Son.

Empress Business Centre, Chester Road, Stretford, Manchester, formerly Empress Brewery

The Empress Business Centre

In 1992 it was converted into the Empire Business Centre, now located in the building in Old Trafford, that is south-west of the city centre. It has great travel links via rail, Metrolink, bus and the roads. The business centre houses modern offices and busiest environments that can offer meeting areas, training areas, storage units and a mailbox service.

Empress Business Centre, Chester Road, Stretford, Manchester, formerly Empress Brewery

The Empress Business Centre

 

This entry was posted in Architectural, Landmark and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.