The Egyptian Room – Oldham Town Hall

Posted on by Hannah Waugh

Oldham town hall is a Grade II listed Georgian neo-classical built in 1841, Winston Churchill made his inaugural acceptance speech on the steps of the town hall when he was first elected MP in 1900, there is a blue plaque on the exterior of the building that commemorates this. In 2008 it was discovered that chunks of the ceiling were falling away on a daily basis, dead animals on the floor and they came to a decision that the building is rotting away. 

tile restoration room wall building Oldham town hall

Restoration work done in the Egyptian room

tile restoration room wall building Oldham town hall

Restoration work done in the Egyptian room

In 2012 plans were announced that they would restore the area and turn the building into restaurants and cinema complex the £36.72 million job was completed in 2016. They also restored the buildings and the tiles that went on the walls and floors, in the different rooms.

tile restoration room wall building Oldham town hall

Restoration work done in the Egyptian room

The Egyptian rooms, formed part of an extension, built in 1912 towards the rear of the building, were where the boroughs treasury department was and got its name from the grand pillars in the room and Egyptian-style decoration on the wall. The restoration was done by Craven Dunnill Jackfield a company who produce ceramic wall and floor tiles, they also do colour matching so they can restore original pieces.

tile restoration room wall building Oldham town hall

Restoration work done in the Egyptian room

tile restoration room wall building Oldham town hall

Restoration work done in the Egyptian room

This entry was posted in Architectural, Landmark and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *